PATS Process FAQs

How do I make a PATS claim?

Go to Get Started and follow the six easy steps.

How do I contact my local PATS office?

Contact your local PATS office.

How long will it take to process my claim?

The time it takes to process a claim varies but payment should be made within 30 days from the date we receive your claim, subject to the correct information and necessary documents (such as your taxation receipts) being received.

I can’t afford to pay for travel and/or accommodation upfront. Can you provide PATS assistance prior to my appointment?

Yes, this is call assistance in advance. Your local PATS office may be able to book travel or accommodation for you or provide fuel payment in advance.

Can I apply for PATS if I have already travelled and received treatment?

Yes, applications can be made up to 12 months after receiving treatment. Retrospective applications are assessed against the same criteria as PATS applications submitted prior to travel. A patient’s approved subsidy payment is based on their application and an assessment against  the PATS Guideline , not the costs they incurred to travel to their appointment. For example patients who have travelled using a mode of transport different to the mode approved in their retrospective application, will receive a payment equal to the lesser amount.

How long is my PATS application form valid?

Your PATS Application is valid for 12 months from the time your referring doctor signs the form. After 12 months, you will be required to submit a new PATS Application Form. If you visit a new specialist for an unrelated medical condition, a new PATS application/claim form is required. If your circumstances change and you now require an escort, ask your treating GP or specialist to note this on the PATS application/claim form.

 Can I apply for PATS for an appointment outside of Western Australia?

If the nearest medical specialist medical service available is in another state you may be eligible for PATS. This mainly affects the Kimberley and Goldfields regions where the closest specialist may be in Darwin or Alice Springs.

If the service is not available in WA you may be eligible for the Interstate Patient Travel Scheme (IPTS).  The application form can be located through the Department of Health website at   IPTS is not associated with PATS.

For all enquires please contact:

Office of the Chief Medical Officer
Level 2c, 189 Royal Street
Phone: (08) 9222 2474
Fax: (08) 9222 4443

 What happens if I miss my travel or accommodation booking?

It your responsibility to advise your local PATS office. of any changes to travel plans or appointment details. If adequate notice (i.e. within 24 hours) is not provided and/or the patient misses their travel/accommodation booking without good reason, future subsidies may be affected.

I've had my application declined.  Can I get a review of a PATS decision?

Yes, you can.

You need to write down the reasons why you think there should be a review, including any extra information.

Send a copy of this to your local PATS office. The PATS Regional Coordinator of the health services where the initial decision was made will consider your complaint or review request against the PATS Guideline.

You may be contacted to provide other information.

The PATS Regional Coordinator will write to you about the outcome of your review within 30 days or sooner if the matter is urgent.

If you have raised your concerns with the PATS Regional Coordinator and you are still not satisfied, you can ask for a further review of the decision by:

 How long does it take for patients to receive their subsidy payment?

You should receive their subsidy payment within 30 working days of submitting all necessary paperwork, including their signed certification form and any required tax invoices to their local hospital or health facility.

How long does it take to assess applications?

Applications should be assessed by your local PATS within 10 working days of receiving your application.

Applications may take longer to assess if necessary information has not been provided.

If I want to provide feedback on PATS, how do I do this?

We welcome your feedback about your experience with PATS.  If you wish to provide feedback on PATS you can contact your local PATS office or you can submit feedback through  the WACHS consumer compliments and feedback page.