Private allied health services

Many allied health services such as dietetics, physiotherapy and podiatry can be provided privately within private practices. They are often referred by your general practitioner and provide a range of diagnostic, technical, therapeutic and direct patient care and support services. Here you can find information on how you can access these services in regional Western Australia.

How to find allied health services

Private allied health professionals, like your general practitioner, charge a fee for delivery of their service. The fee is variable depending on the allied health professional and the type of service provided (e.g. assessment, treatment, group session). 

You can find a private Allied Health service through the Yellow Pages.

Professional Associations also have directories of private services, including:

Your local hospital or community health centre may also be able to provide information on private allied health services.


The Australian Government has recently introduced a number of Medicare items for allied health services. These items allow individuals to claim a Medicare rebate for part of the fee charged by a private allied health professional. Medicare rebate is only available for specific conditions and requires a referral from a General Practitioner.

To find out more about the Medicare items available for private allied health services talk to your General Practitioner.

Private health insurance

Individuals with private health insurance and ancillary insurance may be able to claim a portion of out of pocket expenses for private allied health services from their health fund. The majority of health funds will pay a benefit for allied health services, depending on the type of cover held. Individuals with private health insurance may choose to access private health services to gain the maximum benefit from their fund and benefit from reduced waiting times.


Help us improve this site