Allied health

Allied health professionals in the WA Country Health Service (WACHS) cover a full range of therapeutic and technical disciplines, and are located all over regional Western Australia to better serve their country communities.

WACHS provides a range of allied health services including physiotherapy, occupational therapy, speech pathology, social work, dietetics, podiatry, audiology and pharmacy to name a few.  Allied health professionals provide key services within your community, including hospital services, child development, mental health, aged care and community health.

Allied health professionals are either based in your community or provide a visiting service from a larger centre. To find your nearest health service using the Service Finder on the Healthy WA website. 

Private allied health services

Many allied health services can be provided privately within private practices.  Private allied health professionals, like your general practitioner, charge a fee for delivery of their service. The fee is variable depending on the allied health professional and the type of service provided. 

There are a number of different ways you can find a private allied health service:

Your local hospital or community health centre may also be able to provide information on private allied health services in your area.

Medicare rebates are available for some private allied health services. A medicare rebate is only available for specific conditions and requires a referral from a General Practitioner. To find out more about the Medicare items available for private allied health services talk to your General Practitioner.

Individuals with private health insurance and ancillary insurance may be able to claim a portion of out of pocket expenses for private allied health services from their health fund. The majority of health funds will pay a benefit for allied health services, depending on the type of cover held. Talk to your local health fund to check if your private cover includes allied health services.