University and TAFE study

Going to university

Many health professions require you to complete university study. This page aims to provide rural students interested in going to university or wanting to know more about the exciting aspects of university life. In addition to the information presented, don't forget that the best way of successfully getting into your course would be to research and talk to as many people as possible (e.g. local health professionals, your school careers advisor etc.) about the marks/grades and prerequisite subjects you will need to complete to satisfy the entry requirements of your course.  You will of course have to put in lots of hard work at school too.

How do I get into my university course?

Each university sets a minimum entrance requirement for admission into a place of study. The entrance requirements depend on the demand for the course of study and the number of places available. Selection for an undergraduate place of study is generally based on a combination of your Year 12 performance and the subjects you completed in high school. 

Setting academic goals for yourself can also help you ease the pressure of getting into university. For example, at the start of Year 11, find out the Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) for the courses you are interested in, and compare your exam marks with the ATAR you'll need. If you do this for each set of exams, you will soon realise whether you are on the right track to hopefully getting into your course.

What's university life like?

University can open the doors to many wonderful opportunities, both of the intellectual and recreational kind. Although going to university may seem to be a long way in the future, knowing a little about what to expect of university can help you achieve your aim to get there.

University is different from school and secondary college in a number of ways. There is very little supervision, class sizes are bigger and more study is undertaken in your own time. It will be up to you to ensure that you attend lectures, tutorials and practical classes and that assignments are handed in on time. Social life at university offers a great variety of options. There are lots of clubs and sporting groups, concerts and movie nights. These provide the opportunity to meet a whole range of interesting people and to make new friends who share common interests.

Helpful resources - University

Going to TAFE

TAFEWA is the most popular post-secondary school study option for Western Australians. They offer qualifications in almost every career you can think of and their graduates get great results. In 2004, 92 per cent of graduates were employed or in further training within six months of completing their qualification. Employers value their graduates for their practical skills, industry experience and technical knowledge.

Training at TAFEWA is hands on and involves the latest industry developments because their lecturers have good links with industry. You will be learning from real workplace examples - not just from textbooks and exams. This means you'll develop practical knowledge to back up a theoretical understanding in your chosen career.

One of the great things about TAFE for rural students is that you may not have to travel far to study because they have more than 50 campuses throughout Western Australia.

How does TAFE differ to university?

TAFEWA offers certificates, diplomas and advanced diploma courses which can vary between six months to three years. Training is practical and tailored to job requirements. Universities usually offer degree courses which take three or more years and usually contain more theory than TAFEWA courses. Some TAFEWA graduates later go on to university and some university students go to TAFEWA to gain more practical skills to assist them with gaining employment.

How do I apply for TAFE?

Each TAFE qualification has a set of minimum entrance requirements which you must meet to be eligible. Some courses will also require you to address the selection criteria. The minimum entrance requirements and selection criteria are listed in each course outline under full-time studies at the TAFEWA website. You can apply online for full-time studies at TAFE or you can obtain an application form from your local TAFE campus. Applications for first semester TAFE open at the beginning of August.

For more information

School leavers should contact their school's careers officer. Non-school applicants should consult an information officer at their nearest TAFEWA campus or Jobs and Skills Centre, free call 13 64 64.

Last Updated: 09/04/2021